« НазадПродовжити »
turned into Galilee, and dwelt in Nazareth, their City, ver. 19-23
25 Q. Was there any Thing further remarkable in the Childhood of Jefus ?
A. When he was twelve Years old he went up with his Parents to the Pass-over, according to their Cuftom; but when they returned, they missed their Son, Luke ii. 41-43.
26 Q. Where did they find him?
1. They turned back to Jerusalem, and after three Days they found him in the Temple, in the midst of the Doktors, both hearing them, and asking them Queftisns, ver. 45, 46.
27 © What Reafon did the Child Jesus give for his Conduct?
1. He told them, that they might have supposed he was about his Father's Business; but he went down with them to Nazareth, where he spent the rest of his Childhood, and was subject to his Parents, Luke ii. 49–51. 28 Q. How did Jesus employ his younger Years?
A. It is reported by the Ancients, that he was brought up to his Father's Trade, who was a Country Carpenter, and that he made Ploughs, and Yokes for Oxen; for Jesus himself is called a Carpenter, Mark vi. 3:
His. Preparation for his public Work. Il.AT what Age did Jesus begin to appear
A. At about thirty Years of Age, Luke iii. 23. 2 Q. How was he prepared for his public Work?
A. He was eminently prepared for it by bis Bap. tism, by the Descent of the Holy Spirit upon him, by his Retirement, and his Temptations, Luke iii, and iv.
3 Q. When was Jesus Christ baptized ?
A. When John the Baptist was fent with a Commission to baptize Men, Jesus offered himself at the River Jordan to be baptized, that he might fulfil all
' Righteousness, though he had no Need to be washed from Sin, Mutt. iii. 14, 1:5.
4 Q. What Testimony didi he receive from John the Baptift?
A. John declared, that Jesus was the Lamb of God, who would take away the Sins of the World; and that he himself, who baptized with Water, was not worthy to loose the Shoes of Jefus, becaufe he was appointed to baptize with the Holy Spirit and with Fire, Matt. iii. 11.
52 What Miracle attended his Baptism?
A. When Feus came out of the Water, the Spirit of God like a Dove descended upon bim, and a Voice from Heaven was heard, saying, This is my beloved Son; in whom I am will pleased, Matt. iii. 16, 17
6 Whither did he go for his Retirement, after he was baptized ?
A. He was led into the Wilderness, not only to endure Temptation, and conquer the Tempter" there, but probably to spend forty Days in Meditation and Prayer, and Converse with God; as Möfes, before his giving the Law to Israel, spent forty Days with God on Mount Sinai, Marki. 12, 13:
7 Q. Was this the Place of his Contest with the Tempter?
A. Yes A. Yes, the Devil assaulted him here with three powerful Temptations, Matt, iv. I-11.
8 Q What was the first Temptation ?
Ă. The Devil persuaded bim to turn Stones into Bread, because he was an hungry, having fafted forty Days.
9 Q. How did Christ answer him?
A. By Thewing him that Man deth not live by Bread alone, but by the Power and Bleffing of God, Deut. viii. 3.
10 Q. What was the second Temptation ?
A. The Devil set him upon a Pinnacle of the Temple, and bid bim cast himself down, for there was a Promise in Psalm xci. 11. that Angels should bear him up, so that he should receive no Hurt.
11 Q. How did Jesus resist that Temptation ?
1. By thewing that we must not tempt the Providence of God any Way, Deut vi. 16. and there fore we muft not venture upon Dangers without Neceffity.
12 Q. What was the third Temptation?
A. The Devil promised to give him all the Kingdoms of this World, if Jesus would fall down and worship him.
13 Q. How was this Temptation vanquished ?
A. By declaring that God only was to be worshipped, Deut. vi. 13. and X. 20.
14 Q. Whence did Jesus derive his Answers to these several Temptations ?
A. From several Texts of Scripture which he cited upon this Occasion, and all out of the Book of Deuteronomy.
15 Q. What Token of Honour from Heaven did Christ receive in the Wilderness ? A. When the Devil was disappointed and van
quisbed, and forsook bim, the Angels of God came and miniftered unto him.
fedt. I. JESUS CHrist's Appearance with the
Gbaradiins of the MESSIAH. 36 Q. We are now come to the public Life
and Miniftry of Jesus CHRIST: Let us hear wbat were the chief Parts or Defigns of it?
A. The firft Defign of his public Life and Miniftry was, to appear in the World with the Marks of a divine Commiffion, and the Characters of the Meffiab upon
him. 17 Q. How did Jesus fulfil this first Design of This public Life and Ministry? · A. He healed the Sick, he raised the Dead, he preached the glad Tidings of Salvation to the Poor, he fet about the Reformation of the World, and.all this without Noile or Uproar; and he received feveral Teftimonies from Heaven. [See thefe Cha. matters of the Meffrab foretold by the Prophets ]. Ha. XXXV. 4, 5. and chap. Ixi. 1, 2. and íxii. 2. Malili
. 1, 2, 3. [andexemplified in CHRIST.] Matt. xi. 3—5. and cbap.w. 17-20. and xii. 19.
18 Q But did not Cbrift preach up his own. Character as the Meffiah, or anointed Savidur?
4. Though he several Times preached that he was fent from God; yet he very feldom declared plainly that he was the Messiah; and even forbid the Men that knew it to publish it at that Time, „nor would he fuffer the Devils to declare it, Matt. xvi. 20. Mark i. 34.
19 Q. Why did our Saviour so long abstain from declaring that he was the Meffiah who fhould come into the World?
A. Partly A. Partly that Men might learn his Office and Character in a rational Way, and infer, that he was the Messiab by his Doctrine and his Works; and partly that he might not expose himself to the Rage of his Enemies, and to Death before his Time, Luke vii. 19-23.
20 Q. What were fome of the Testimonies which Chrift received from Heaven in his Life?
4. Voices from Heaven at several Times; once at his Baptism, which was mentioned before; once among the People, in answer to his Prayer; and once on the Mount of Transfiguration, when Moses and Elias came from Heaven to attend him.
21 Q What was that Voice which came in Answer to his Prayer?
1. When Chrilt prayed in public that God his Father would glorify his Name; there was an Anfwer came from Heaven, I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again, John xii. 28.
22 Q. What was the Transfiguration?
1. Jefus went up into a high Mountain with three of his Discipies, his Countenance was changed all glorious, and his Raiment lhining like Sunbeams ; Moses and Elias appeared and conversed with him, and from a bright Cloud broke forth a Voice, This is my beloved Son, bear him, Matt.
Sect. ll. Of the Subječts of his PREACHING, bis
PARABLes, and his DISPUTES.
23. WHAT was the second Part and De
sign of his public Life and Ministry? 1. To preach and teach many necessary Truths and Duties t People, Mark i. 38. Isaiah Ixi. 1. Luke iv, 18.
24. Q. In