« НазадПродовжити »
THE Reliques of Bishop Percy have for a century been favourites with all lovers of ancient poetry and of English literature ; and as they were among the chief friends of my boyhood, it has been a great pleasure to me, in advanced manhood, to help in giving to the world a popular edition of them. I have added a few brief foot-notes, where the Author's meaning, or a passing allusion, seemed obscure ; and the Glossaries to each of the three original volumes have been drafted into one in this edition. Those of the “Reliques” which are to be found also in Percy's “Folio Manuscript” have been duly noted; and I have prefixed to the volume a new biography of the venerable author himself.
2. The Aged Lover renounceth
3. Jephthah, Judge of Israel, . 106
4. A Robyn Jolly Robyn,
5. A Song the Lute in Musicke, 107
6. King Cophetua and the Beggar
thy Old Cloak about
8. Willow, Willow, Willow,
9. Sir Lancelot Du Lake,
10. Corydon's Farewell to Phillis, 115
11. Gernutus, the Jew of Venice, 115
12. The Passionate Shepherd to his
Love, by Marlow,
The Nymph's Reply, by Sir
13. Titus Andronicus's Complaint, 119
14. Take those Lips away,
15. King Leir and his Three Daugh-
16. Youth and Age, by Shakespeare, 125
17. The Frolicksome Duke, or the
Tinker's Good Fortune,
18. T'he Friar of Orders Gray, . 127
SERIES THE FIRST.
1. The Ancient Ballad of Chevy.
2. The Battle of Otterbourne, .
3. The Jew's Daughter. A Scottish
4. Sir Cauline, .
5. Edward, Edward. A Scottish
6. King Estmere,
7. Sir Patrick Spence. A Scottish
8. Robin Hood and Guy of Gisborne,
9. An Elegy on Herry, Fourth Earl
of Northumberland, by Skelton,
10. The Tower of Doctrine, by
11. The Child of Elle,
12. Edom of Gordon. A Scottish
8. The Farewell to Love, from Beau-
mont and Fletcher,.
9. Ulysses and the Syren, by S.
10. Cupid's Pastime, by Davidson, . 149
11. The Character of a Happy Life,
by Sir H. Wotton, .
12. Gilderoy. A Scottish Ballad, 150
14 The Witch of Wokey,.
15. Bryan and Pereene. A West
Indian Ballad, by Dr. Grainger, 153
16. Gentle River, Gentle River.
Translated from the Spanish,. 154
17. Alcanzor and Zayda, a Mocrish
4. Queen Elizabeth's Verses while
Prisoner at Woodstock, . 198
5. The Heir of Linne,
6. Gascoigne's Praise of the Fair
7. Fair Rosamond. By Thomas
8. Queen Eleanor's Confession, 207
9. The Sturdy Rock,
10. The Beggar's Daughter of Bej.
11. Fancy and Desire, by the Earl
12. Sir Andrew Barton,
13. Lady Anne Bothwell's Lament.
A Scottish Song,
14. The Murder of the King of Scots, 224
15. A Sonnet by Queen Elizabeth, 225
16. The King of Scots and Andrew
Browne, by W. Elderton, 226
17. The Bonny Earl of Murray. A
18. Young Waters. A Scottish Song, 228
19. Mary Ambree,
20. Brave Lord Willoughby,
21. Victorious men of Earth, by
22. The Winning of Cales,
23. The Spanish Lady's Love, 236
24. Argentile and Curan, by W.
25. Corin's Fate,
26. Jane Shore,
27. Corydon's Dolesul Knell,
SERIES THE SECOND.
1. Richard of Almaigne, .
2. On the Death of King Edward
the First, .
3. An Original Ballad by Chaucer,
4. The Turnament of Tottenham,
5. For the Victory at Agincourt,
6. The Not-browne Mayd,
7. A Ballad by the Earl Rivers,
8. Cupid's Assault, by Lord Vaux,
9. Sir Aldingar,
10. The Gaberlunzie Man, a Scottish
Song, by King James V.,
11. On Thomas, Lord Cromwell,
12. Harpalus. An ancient English
13. Robin and Makyne. An an-
cient Scottish Pastoral,
14. Gentle Herdsman, tell to me,
15. King Edward IV. and the Tanner
16. As ye came from the Holy
17. Hardyknute. A Scottish Frag.
12. Loyaliy Confined, by Sir Roger
13. Verses by King Charles I., 266
14. The Sale of Rebellious House-
15. The Baffled Knight, or Lady's
16. Why so Pale? by Sir John Suck-
17. Old Tom of Bedlam. Mad Song
18. The Distracted Puritan. Mad
Song the Second,
19. The Lunatic Lover. Mad Song
20. The Lady distracted with Love.
Mad Song the Fourth,
21. The Distracted Lover. Mad
Song the Fifth,
22. The Frantic Lady. Mad Song
23. Lilli Burlero, by Lord Wharton, 277
24. The Braes of Yarrow. In imita-
tion of the ancient Scottish
manner, by W. Hamilton,
25. Admiral Hosier's Ghost, by Mr.
26. Jemmy Dawson, by Mr. Shen-
1. The Legend of Sir Guy,
2. Guy and Amarant, by Sam. Row-
3. The Auld Good-Man. A Scottish
4. Fair Margaret and Sweet
5. Barbara Allen's Cruelty,
6. Sweet William's Ghost. A Scot.
7. Sir John Grehme and Barbara
8. The Bailiff's Daughter of Isling.
9. The Willow Tree. Pastoral
10. The Lady's Fall,
11. Waly, Waly, Love be Bonny. A
Scottish Song, .
12. The Bride's Burial,
14. The Lady Isabella's Tragedy,
15. A Hue and Cry after Cupid, by
16. The King of France's Daughter, 350
17. The Sweet Neg'ect, by Ben
18. The Children in the Wood,
19. A Lover of Late,.
20. The King and the Miller of
21. The Shepherd's Resolution, by
22. Queen Dido, or the Wandering
Prince of Troy,
23. The Witches' Song, by Ben
24. Robin Good-Fellow,
25. The Fairy Queen,
26. The Fairies Farewell, by Dr.
Bock I. POEMS ON KING ARTHUR
On the Ancient Metrical Ro.
1. The Boy and the Mantle,
2. The Marriage of Sir Gawaine,
3. King Ryence's Challenge,
4. King Arthur's Death. A Frag.
5. The Legend of King Arthur,
6. A Dyttie to Hey Downe,
8. Old Robin of Portingale,
9. Child Waters,
10. Phillida and Corydon, by Nic.
11. Little Musgrave and Lady Bar-
12 The Ew-Bughts, Marion. A
Scottish Song, .