Зображення сторінки

During their residence in Hadley, Goffe under the name of Walter Goldsmith, held a correspondence with his wife in England, and their letters were so highly enigmatical as to render him perfectly safe even if intercepted. The judges, also, from time to time, received funds from their friends in England and America, through the hands of Mr. Tilton, who acted as their trusty agent.

The following is the only memorable action in which either of them was engaged during the remainder of their unhappy lives. In September, 1675, while the people of Hadley were assembled at church, they were unexpectedly surrounded and attacked by a body of Philip's Indians. The affrighted inhabitants, after having feebly repelled the attack, were on the point of yielding, when, suddenly, there appeared among them a venerable old man of singular appearance. Placing himself at their head, and animating them by his address and evidently superior knowledge in military tactics, he enabled them to make a successful resistance, and soon compelled the savages to withdraw. Immediately after the victory the stranger disappeared, and the good people of Hadley imputed this sudden and effectual interposition in their behalf, to an angel, until the fact of the judges being at that time secreted among them became known, when they ascertained that this angel, was no other than Goffe, who, seeing the inhabitants on the eve of fight, sayed the village from destruction, and himself and Whaley from inevitable discovery.

In 1678, Col. Whaley, who had been for a number of years superannuated, insensibly closed his unfortunate career, and was secretly buried in, or near, Mr. Russel's cellar. Of Gen. Goffe, we hear no more, after 1679. Different traditions have disposed of the remainder of his life, each in a different manner. One tradic tion is, that he died in Hadley; another, in New Haven, and another still, transports him to New York, where he carries vegetables to market for a subsistence, for some time, and then goes to Virginia, and from thence to Rhode Island ; and under the name of Theophilus Whale, dies in obscurity. The truth in relation to his death never has been, and probably never will be, fully ascertained.

While they were at Mr. Russel's, they were joined in their exile by Jobo Dixwell, Esq. another of the unfortunate judges. He soon left them, went to New Haven, assumed the name of James Davids, lived in retirement, though not in secrecy, was married and had several children. Although he did not reveal his true name and character to the world until upon his death bed, yet he was

[ocr errors][merged small][merged small]

generally considered as obnoxious to the English government. After more than twenty five years exile, he died in the eighty second year of his age. Over him was placed by his own direction, a plain rough stone, with merely the initials of his name inscribed ; well knowing that if a conspicuous monument with his whole name was erected, his body would be liable to the same indignities committed on Cromwell's. As late as 1790, there was standing near Col. Dixwell's grave another plain stone, with E. W. upon it; and presumptive evidence is very strong, that Whaley was, by his directions, dis-interred at Hadley and buried there. 0. X.

[ocr errors]


[ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors]

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTICE OF JOSIAH BARTLETT. Josian BARTLETT was descended from a Norman family which emigrated and settled in the south of England about the period of the Norman conquest. The branch of the family from which he was immediately descended came to this country in the 17th Ceatury, and was established at Beverly, in Massachusetts. Mr. Bartlett was born at Amesbury, in this State, in Nov. 1729. He was instructed in the Greek and Latin languages, and is said to have acquired a knowledge of them with great facility. At the age of sixteen he was placed under the care of Dr. Ordway, ot Amesbury, to commence his professional studies. He applied himself with great assiduity, and in 1750, at the age of 21, commenced practice at Kingston, with as good a medical education as his limited preparatory means would allow. He pursued bis profession with success, and was first to discover the efficacy of Peruvian Bark in cases of canker in the throat. The reputation he had established for integrity, a quick, discerning, comprehensive mind, and decision of character, designated him as a suitable person for public life. Accordingly, in 1765, he was chosen to represent the town in which he resided in the colonial assembly of New Hampshire. He then also had command of a Regiment of Militia. In the legislature he took firm republican ground, and became the strenuous and active advocate of popular rights. He opposed what he deemed to be the unjust and unlawful grants of land, and in an especial manner objected to the Governor's reserving to himself and for the use of the Episcopal church, many of the best and most valuable rights. He was, however, in a minority, and by this course incurred the displeasure of the Governor, John Wentworth. He was, however, steady and zealous in his remonstrances against these usurpations


[ocr errors]


of the Governor, and against the right of the British Government to tax the colonies. In 1774, a committee of correspondence was appointed by the members of the assembly, whereupon the Goveroor immediately dissolved the assembly; but the committee called a meeting of the members who proceeded to choose two delegates to represent New Hampshire in the General Congress, to meet in Philadelphia that year; and Mr. Bartlett was chosen, but declined the honor on account of the pressing embarrassment of his private concerns, occasioned by the destruction of his house by fire. By the patriotic course he pursued, he gave such offence to the Governor, that, in Feb. 1775, he was notified that his name was erased from the commission of the peace, and he was removed from his military command. In 1775, he continued a member of the assembly, a majority of which had now become enemies of the Gov

He was also a member of the committee of safety. In Sept. 1775, the Governor retired to Boston, and afterwards issued from the Isle of Shoals a proclamation, adjourning the assembly to the next April. This was the last act of the colonial or provincial Governor, and with it terminated the British government in New Hampshire. In Sept. of this year, Mr. Bartlett was appointed to the command of a regiment, by the first Provincial Cougress. He had been previously, in August, chosen a delegate to the Continental Congress, and continued a member of that body by successive elections until the autumn of 1778. The vote upon the declaration of Independence was taken by colonies, beginning with N. H. Dr. B. was first called and gave an affirmative vote. He also was first to sign that document, after Mr. Hancock, the president. His services while a member of this body were such as will always be acknowledged with gratitude by his country. He possessed a clear, steady judgment, and manifested a most firm, unwavering attachment to the cause of liberty. In 1779, he was appointed Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas in New Hampshire, and continned in the discharge of the duties of that office until 1782, when he was raised to the bench of the Supreme Court, and officiated as an associate Justice until 1788, when he was made Chief Justice. He was an active member of the Convention called in New Hampshire for the adoption of the Constitution of the United States. In 1789, he was chosen a Sepator under that constitution, but declined the honor on account of his infirmities. In June, 1790, he was chosen President of New Hampshire, in which office be continued until June, 1793, when he was elected the first Governor, which

office he resigued in 1794, that he might be released from the cares and fatigues of public business, and enjoy the repose of private life. This enjoyment, however, was of short duration, for in May, 1795, he died,

Dr. Bartlett was a man of stern integrity, frank and undisguised in his deportment. His patriotism was ardent and sustained by'a mind of uncommonly comprehensive powers. His perceptions were quick, his judgment clear, and his conclusions accurate. He rose to high distinction by his own merit, and justly enjoyed in an uncommon degree, the confidence of the public.




A DUTCH LEGEND. At a small fishing village in Dutch Flanders, there is still shown the site of a hut, which was an object of much attention whilst it slood, on account of a singular legend that relates to its first inhabitant, a kind-hearted fellow, who depended on his boat for subsistence, and his own happy disposition for cheerfulness during every hardship and privation. Thus the story goes : one dark and stormy night in winter, as Jan Schalken was sitting with his goodnatured buxom wife by the fire, he was awakened from a transient doze by a knocking at the door of his hut. He started op, drew back the bolt, and a stranger entered. He was a tall man, but little could be distinguished either of his face or figure, as he wore a large dark cloak, which he had contrived to pull over his head after the fashion of a cowl. "I am a poor traveller (said the strapger,) and want a night's lodging. Will you grant it to me?" "Aye, to be sure, (replied Schalken,) but I am afraid your cheer will be but sorry.


you come sooner you might have fared better. Sit down, however, and eat what is left.” The traveller took him at his word, and in a short time afterwards retired to his humble sleeping place. In the morning as he was about to depart, he advanced towards Schalken, and giving bim his hand, thus addressed him: “ It is needless for you, my good friend, to know who I am; but of this be assured, that I can and will be grateful; for when the rich and the powerful turned me last night from their inhospitable gates, you welcomed me as man should welcome mad, and looked with an eye of pity on the desolate traveller in the


Storm. I grant you three wishes. Be they wbat they may, those wishes shall be gratified.” Now Schalken certainly did not put much faith in these promises, but still he thought it the safest plan

to make trial of them; and, accordingly, began to consider how he & should fix his wishes. Jan was a man who had few or no ambiitious views, and was contented with the way of life in which he

kad been brought up. In fact, he was so well satisfied with his situation, that he had not the least inclination to lose a single day of his laborious existence; but on the coutrary, bad a very sincere wish of adding a few years to those which he was destined to live. This gave rise to wish the first. “Let my wife and myself live (he said) fifty years longer than nature has designed :" " It shall be done,” cried the stranger. Whilst Schalken was puzzling his brain for a second wish, be bethought him that a pear-tree, which was in his little garden, had been frequently despoiled of its fruit, to the no small detriment of the said tree, and grievous disappointment of its

" For my second wish, grant that whoever climbs my peartree shall not bave power to leave it until my permission be given."

This was also assented to. Scbalken was a sober man, and liked to sit down and chat with his wife of an evening ; but she was a

bustling body, and often jumped up in the midst of a conversation i that she had only heard ten or twelve times, to scrub the table or

set their clay platters in order. Nothing disturbed him so much as this, and he was determined, if possible, to prevent a recurrence of the nuisance. With this object in view he approached close to the strapger, and in a low whisper told him his third and last wish : "that whoever sat in a particular chair in his hut, should not be able to move out of it until it should please bim so to order.” This wish was agreed to by the traveller, who, after many greetings, departed

on his way. Years passed on, and his last two wishes had been fully gratified by often detaining thieves in his tree, and his wife on her chair. The time was approaching when the promise of longevity would be falsified or made manifest. It happened that the

birth-days of the fisherman and his wife were the same. They were sitting together on the evening of the day that made bim 79 years, and Mietja 73 years of age, when the moon that was shining through the window of the hut seemed suddenly to be extinguished, and the stars rushed down the dark clouds and lay glaring on the surface of the ocean, over which was spread an unnatural calmness, although the skies appeared to be mastered by the winds, and were heaving onward, with their mighty waves of

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]
« НазадПродовжити »